Sunday, December 9, 2012

Nazis, Human Behavior, and Julian Assange.

I got this article in an email from my cousin, in which, the rules of war were followed due to a sense of Geneva Convention style honor by a German pilot in WW2- a rare thing, based on various references for the battlefields and camps...

Being the contrarian that I am, I immediatly thought of one of the most fucked up modern videos (I challenge you to find better words to describe it with) that I have ever seen:



Thanks go out to Julian Assange for that one. As in interesting tidbit, almost 80% of Americans thought that we were justified to invade Iraq- what do you think that number is at present? My guess is that people have a bad memory of what they thought at the time, or are overly willing to change their opinion and not admit it. I for one, will say that I was for the war, which was an unfortunate trait from my neo-con days. Regardless, I would love to see some data of war support before and after watching the video above.

Moving on...

Certainly, bad things happen in war- often, otherwise decent people don't examine things enough and find themselves (what I hope is) unknowingly committing some pretty egregious acts, as illustrated in the Milgram experiment... Speaking of which, even now, after the experiment was talked about in virtually every high school across the nation, people are willing to kill others as long as they are not held fault (kind of like a lot of war crimes committed by the victors of a war). See the video below.


All I am getting at, is that when examining current world events, where our nation continues to play a political game in the middle east that is only worthy of gossiping high schoolers, maybe we don't quite know what we are getting into. Looking back, it's a basic theme throughout history...

I think that this works as an illustration of how no matter how "advanced" society gets, we still deal with the same basic human fallacies, be they blindly respecting authority, thinking in a herd mentality, or, simply loving to be ignorant. Hell, we still love the same plot themes that the Greeks did millennia ago- I would have thought that we would have moved on by now!? Despite Steven Pinker arguing that we are more civil than ever (which, despite the tone of this post, I agree with) these are things that still exist, where a true contrarian and value investor can profit from the acknowledgement of.

Hence, some of the many reasons why I am long a couple of defense stocks that are already astonishingly cheap even if we don't decide to kill a few (or a lot) people in some far away place. To me, being long cash rich defense parts manufactures which also seem to have nimble operations, are a great hedge (if not unfortunate one), regardless of what happens with the budget. If the world falls apart, then they make a ton of money. If the world continues as is, then they are still cheap. If the world gets better, then I would guess that the market would appreciate their cash, or, it could be distributed. If the companies own some real estate that's (probably) understated on the books, then all the better...


Disclosure: None, though anybody that reads this probably knows that I and accounts that I manage are long MPAD and SODI. This is in no way advice. Always do your own research in regards to anything that I say, do, write, or so much as even think about.

No comments: