Monday, April 30, 2012

Help A Couple Of Bloggers Finds Some Research?

As many of you hopefully already know, My Investing Notebook is a great blog... Here is the most quote that makes up it's most recent post:

Warren Buffett:
While I was on the board at Gillette, the company would go to Wal-Mart and offer discount razor blades at quarter-end to boost results. It is a terrible treadmill to get on.

This was a great snippet of info to learn. As I was sure there would be more good things to read, I decided that it would be a good idea to go to the source that the quote came from so that I could read more. Towards the end, something stuck out to me. Buffett said the following (I actually assume that this is a summation and not a quote):


Q: Student loans offer people the chance of higher education, but in the U.S. there is
a trillion dollars in student debt. Some 36% of students graduate with “little sign of
higher education”. Is there a bubble coming as far as the  higher education trend
goes? What’s your opinion on this issue and when will this bubble burst?

(Buffett responded with a lot of wisdom, but, this stuck out to me...)

John Mellor did research on group of students for a project. One group was
sent to the beach while the other studied at university. Their results are not that
different. It’s always about consistent improvement of your abilities.


As I have a history of being critical of cinderblock institutions of learning, I naturally tried to find this research. After a significant time from me and the author of MIN searching the doldrums of the internet, we came up with nothing.

Any help finding this info would be greatly appreciated and will be the subject of a future post with full credit going to you, if you want it. :)

2 comments:

Mary said...

this might be the guy - you could ask him?
J.E.Mellor@Bradford.ac.uk

jeff said...

I just sent him an email. Thanks!