Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Syms To Auction Off "The Running Of The Brides"

When a retailer like Syms goes bankrupt, it is beyond most value investors (especially when followers Ben Graham) to put much value on intellectual property. However, this may be one of the more interesting cases. Syms is auctioning off it's intellectual property, which includes the famous "Running Of The Brides".

I have no idea what the property is worth. In fact, I haven't the slightest clue. But, I do know one thing, watching what will unfold will be educational from an investment perspective.

Here is a video to give you an idea about "The Running":




It's almost as crazy as people letting their animal spirits run free over $2 dollar waffle makers...

Disclaimer/Disclosure: I am long Syms. This is not advice of any kind. I reserve the right to change my position(s) at any time. Always do a ton of your own research in regard to anything that I say, do, write, or so much as even think about.

1 comment:

Nate Tobik said...

In a liquidation IP is great especially for hard asset value investors. In theory you've bought at a discount to the hard assets and are waiting for them to be realized any sort of IP sale is a bonus.

I invested in and then followed the EDCI liquidation for a few years, the estimated recovery was something like $4 a share, but with IP sales and sales of other intangibles to date they've returned around $7 to shareholders, and there is probably another $3-4 left.

Nate