Sunday, August 7, 2011

Buffett & Buying Back Stock...

Here, Warren Buffett almost perfectly highlights my views on not only selling a stock despite it's undervaluation (for example, if you have a better place for the proceeds) as well as that of a company buying back it's own stock when it is cheap.

*SNIP*

"Well most of them are. But in the end our price is figured relative to everything else so the whole stock market goes down 50 percent we ought to go down a lot because you can buy other things cheaper. I’ve had three times in my lifetime since I took over Berkshire when Berkshire stock’s gone down 50 percent. In 1974 it went from $90 to $40. Did I feel badly? No, I loved it! I bought more stock. So I don’t judge how Berkshire is doing by its market price, I judge it by how our businesses are doing.

...

I think if your stock is undervalued, significantly undervalued, management should look at that as an alternative to every other activity. That used to be the way people bought back stocks, but in recent years, companies have bought back stocks at high prices. They’ve done it because they like supporting the stock…"

Disclosure: None. This is not advice of any kind. This is not a recommendation of any kind. Always do a ton of your own research in regard to anything that I say, do, write, or so much as even think about.

No comments: