Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cell Phones vs. Landlines.

Here is an interesting article about poor people dropping landlines in favor of cell phones.

My reaction when reading it was : "People still use landlines!?"

I would be interested to see what the demographics, age wise look like for this. Now that I am finally old enough where a good deal of my friends have, what I will refer to as a "real" job, I know no one that is my age, who actually has a land line phone. Hell, I've had a small rental home business for going on 6 years, and have always run it from my cell... Actually, I'd have it no other way.

There is a generational divide here. My mom, still doesn't give her cell phone number out to anybody except for close friends and family. It probably just goes to show that younger people, who have been exposed to constant updates on facebook and such, not only want, but also need constant social media stimulation to function. My mom, on the other hand, hates the idea of being contacted at anytime.

Really, it's kind of comical, now that I think about it. Just 3 weeks ago, I was hiking in the middle of nowhere, and was able to take a call on my phone, regarding a rent house... How much of human history has that been possible for?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am 29 and have a landline with my cable package. I would rather give our my landline to random companies than my cell phone. Too many calls that are not wanted.

The business is slowly becoming less valuable but it is not going away. A dying breed...